Funny Fungi

It is discoveries like this that make me wish I had more useful skills...and thankful that in their absence, I at least have a modicum of common sense. 

A walk through the shelter belt this morning led me to paths filled with mushrooms of all shapes and sizes. Our recent rains and cool weather, which are incredibly weird for August in South Dakota, seem to be causing fungal spores of all kinds to pop up...including this very pretty to look at specimen.

Now my small knowledge of mushrooms, mostly based in how to find morels, made me think this could possibly be "chicken of the wood", an edible species. But my other smidgen of mushroom knowledge, namely the fact that many can kill me, made me walk away and leave it where I found it.

UPDATE: A post on the mushroom ID group has this as likely a Jack O Lantern mushroom--which looks somewhat like a Chicken of the Wood except it has gills under it (look close and you can see them). While absolutely not to be eaten, it is apparently bioluminescent so now I really want to go out there and see it!

Comments

Popular Posts