Pig Taming



Pig taming continues...Mabel is an especially good helper.

I should mention that this touching moment was followed by the wee pig going into the barn and getting mildly upset and thus whimpering a bit. This slight noise brought Mama Pig bristling to her gate, full of pig growls (which are terrifying). I bent over and scooped the wee pig up and was going to deposit her over the gate, but then she starting crying in earnest, as babies will.

As I stood up to put in her Mama Pig's pen, I came face to face with Mama Pig, who had somehow managed to rear her considerable heft onto her hind legs and was attempting to jump a nearly 4 foot gate. There is nothing like having a growling, angry 600 pound sow in your face to make you feel humble, pathetic and utterly helpless. I quickly returned her child and literally ran out of the barn.

Lesson learned--all baby pig time will be spent WELL out of Mama Pig's earshot.

Comments

Popular Posts