C'mon Cold Front



C'mon cold front!

We have a line of heavy duty, ugly thunderstorms bearing down upon us tonight but I can't bring myself to dread them because they will bring blessed temperature and humidity relief in your wake.

Because just imagine having just given birth to six kids and being stuck inside a barn on a 90 degree day with 90% humidity. That is how Mama Pig's day has gone.

Poor Mama Pig has been the picture of misery. At first I was worried she was sick, with some terrible post birth issue, but I am now fairly sure that most of it is just heat-related. And so I spent the day ensuring that a 500lb sow had a fan, was periodically soaked with cold water and given cold things to eat (we are officially out of cold produce AND Evie's popsicles---yes, I gave a pig POPSICLES).

But it was all effort was worth it because she finally was able to get cool enough and comfortable to let everyone nurse properly, including this little guy-runt pig. Although Evie has sad to have him leave the house, he is now where he properly belongs with 5 rowdy siblings (they LOVE the hot weather) and a Mama who finally feels well enough to be a mama again.

Comments

Popular Posts