Turnout Time




I've been letting Mama Pig have "turnout" time in the yard with the other pigs during the afternoon. It's been going pretty well---for her.

But I have to say I am pretty amused at the latent terror she induces in visitors who are unfortunate enough to arrive during her outings. I can't blame them--it's pretty unnerving having a 500 pound sow with a head bigger than your abdomen come trotting up to the car.

That said, I feel pretty safe from intruders with her and all her compadres out. Not only does Mama Pig's sheer size intimidate any would-be burglers, I have found that if a I squawk or yell for any reason that she and the other pigs will come running and act all worried. Pigs are pretty protective of each other (if one screams, they all come running to "help") and it seems I might rank as part of the "herd".

I consider that a rare privilege.

Comments

Popular Posts