The Dangers of Headlamps




This is the face of a woman who wants to warn you that headlamps and hungry horses don't mix.

My Aunt Pat and Uncle Dave Dringman were kind enough to give me this awesome headlamp a few weeks ago. It is pretty handy for doing chores after dark (which is all the time in the dark winter of the north). It fits snugly and has a million kw bulb that blinds all in my path--so really a self defense tool as well.

Tonight we did some of the chores late after rescuing my father-in-law from his run-in with a deer (that story later). We didn't get back to the farm until after 8pm. Kas and Lilly were particularly angry because they still hadn't gotten their PM hay.

I geared up in my headlamp and went out to get them fed. I was bragging a little to myself as I went, mainly about how awesome my headlamp is and how much I like it. And as they say, pride goeth before the fall.

I put out hay for Kas and Lilly and proceeded to scratch them in their favorite places, by way of apology. I didn't think much when Kas put her nose up to check out the headlamp and therefore didn't have a chance to stop when...

SNAP!

She grabbed it and immediately let go. It was like a middle school bra snap, only much harder and directly between my eyes.

Holy hell did that hurt.

Needless to say, Kas had had the last laugh for the evening and I went back to the house duly chastised for my poor evening feed performance.

(and for those asking about my father-in-law---he is fine, his truck is not. And the deer? Well somehow when it got struck, both antlers fell off (Mike found them behind the truck!) but the deer, after laying stunned for a few moments, ran away. We looked for it for quite some time but never found it)

Comments

Popular Posts