Donkey Bellies-Chapter 2

Things I have learned in the last 24 hours:

Donkeys, on average, have twins 40% of the time. 40 freaking percent. Be it noted that one of the donkeys has a belly twice the size of the other (and both are huge).

Donkey gestation can last anywhere from 10.5 to 14 months with 360-375 days being average (compared to a horse at 335-345). In other words, even if we knew more than we know, we wouldn't know much about when they are going to pop.

Donkey also have a significantly higher incidence of dystocia (difficult foaling) than horses and of course, older equines of any species, often have a harder time as well. Oh super.

I do fervently hope that these girls are just misshapen by the vagaries of age, gravity and too many previous babies. And if not, I guess I will be dusting off my equine OB/GYN skills soon enough..

 

Comments

Popular Posts