Donkey Bellies-Chapter 1

Meet the donkey version of Abraham's wife, Sarah.

When I brought these donkeys home in December, the breeder told me they had been barren for many years (they are 21 and 23 respectively) and therefore she wanted to find a new home for them.

At the time, I pointed at their obviously rotund bodies and asked "So they aren't pregnant?" and she laughed and said no, that while they had been running with her jack, neither had successfully been in foal for years. YEARS. She assure...d me they were just fat and big-bellied from so many years of foaling.

And so I acquiesced, because hey, I really don't really know what an elderly brood-donkey SHOULD look like. But the pot bellies bothered me and they have spent the last few months getting  progressively stronger dewormers just in case that was the issue. It had zero effect.

Recently, their appetites had become rather voracious...they brayed and brayed each time I brought hay. And I had noted that they seemed to be losing weight on their toplines...but the bellies seem unchanged. In fact, the bellies looked rather larger.

So the other day I sat down with them and looked...I mean really LOOKED at their bellies. Sometimes you just have to sit down with your old donkey ladies and figure things out.

And you know what?

Their bellies MOVED.

They MOVED a lot. They are moving All. The. Time.

There is something in there, I am sure of it. I am starting to become sure these elderly lady donkeys are pregnant...in a miracle of Biblical proportions.

I called my vet and he won't palpate something that small, that possibly far along and short of shipping these old gals out to get ultrasounded, we will now be spending the coming weeks watching and waiting to see if, in fact, there are baby donkeys in these old ladies.

Oye ve...

Comments

Popular Posts