Be Kind

Our pigs are due to move to their new pen in the shelterbelt any day and would already be there if it weren't for the fact that I have been beyond sick for the last several days. With energy levels at negative levels, the idea of finding an efficient way to move four 80lb + rowdy juvenile porkers was just too much to comprehend.

And so you can imagine my consternation when I go outside just now and the two girls are galloping around the yard. My entire being wilted. HOW wo...uld I ever get them ANYHERE? I was simply too weak, too tired, too everything to catch and move pigs.

And then I opened the door.

They ran at me screaming with joy. Jackie Pig tried running into the mud room with the dogs, pulling at my pant leg and wiggling to be scratched. Celine pushed beside her, not about to miss a thing. The light blinked on in my head and I realized that all my weeks of being nice to these little buggers might have actually paid off. They just wanted to see ME.

And so I simply walked across the yard to the barn and they followed at my heels like large, wuffling dogs. They trotted right into a stall and are happily ensconsed there now.

Lesson: Be friends to your livestock, it will pay dividends in the long run.

Comments

Popular Posts