My Chicken Honor Student



That time you post one of your favorite hens on a fancy show poultry page and someone says nice things about it (along with a bunch of genetic info you barely understand) and you feel all warm and fuzzy inside like your child won top honors at school....🥰
I posted this gal and my Silver Laced rooster of the same variety (Cochin) on a show poultry page last night just to find out exactly what I would get color-wise if I bred them together and once more, had my hair blown back by the incredible heredity knowledge of the greater chicken community--those are some crazy well-versed folks when it comes to chicken DNA. I only fully understood about 50% of what she wrote, but the important part is she told me this hen was a beauty and "deserves to be bred" ....which is basically giving a crazy chicken person like myself a push off the cliff to owning even MORE chickens. Bwahahahahahaha!
From Annamay Carlson on "Chicken Color Genetics":
"Developing show quality Silver and Golden Laced large fowl Cochins is a work in progress. Currently they are practically nonexistent. Your birds are actually quite nice examples of their varieties. The Golden Laced hen is a beauty and deserves to be bred! Is there any chance of you obtaining a Golden Laced male from the same line? 
It will be tough going forward with the above combination as the GL most likely carries autosomal red as well as gold. Therefore F1 daughters from this cross will likely look Silver Laced, but even bred back to their father, the F2 cockerels will look brassy. My thought is that autosomal red is likely multifactoral, making it quite difficult to breed out. Still I think it is worthwhile to give it a try.
If the birds were mine I would concentrate on breeding the best F1 son, the one showing the most gold leakage, back to his mother. Half of the F2 offspring males should be pure for gold and you could move forward from there."

Comments

Popular Posts