Ummmmm...what's going on here?


So yeah...that isn't a spotted lamb behind that ewe.

When I arrived home tonight, I found our ninja gilt (seriously, this pig can get out of anything!) had gotten out and in her desperation to take part in the giant zucchinis I had thrown over the fence, couldn't remember how to get back in. So I opened the gate.

The sheep had also noticed me throwing zucchini and when that gate opened, BAM, they were through it before you could say boo. I got the pig in and decided the sheep could just sit where they were in the pig pasture while I did a few other things. After all, they were in "NaNaNaNa, we escaped" mode anyway and I wasn't in the mood for a chase.

About ten minutes later I come back to this-a two week old piglet catching his supper from our oldest ewe Robyn.

Now mind you, this ewe weaned her baby over two months ago. Two months! I had noted that while her bag was way, way smaller than while nursing, it still wasn't tidily tucked up in her sheep parts. I had periodically checked for mastitis but she has been 100% healthy and I figured she would shrink up eventually.

Little did I know her boobs weren't just a cup size too big yet-she still has milk! And somehow, in a 10 minute span, that plucky little pig had figured it out and gotten a belly full. I got all the sheep out and grabbed Robyn and sure enough, she still has enough milk that I probably could've gotten a full cup had I properly milked her.

Why she let him do it is beyond me but kudos to both the milking and mothering genetics in our sheep herd!

Comments

Popular Posts